18 and older
In this WordPress training class, you will start with the basics of setting up WordPress and learn how to create and maintain a successful WordPress site.
In this training, you will learn to:
- The two different versions of WordPress.
- Website hosting and domain registrars. How to set this up with separate registrar and host, for more security.
- How to install WordPress.
- An overview of the Dashboard including how to find hidden items.
- Cleaning out the stuff that is installed by default.
- Finding and installing WordPress themes to instantly change the look and feel of your website.
- Plugins. What they are and how you can use them to create magnificent websites.
- How to update WordPress, themes and plugins.
- Every single Dashboard setting, what they do, and what you should use in the settings of your website.
- How to find and use the RSS feeds on your site to help search engines find your content.
- The importance of user profiles, and how to assign a "Gravatar" image to your email address.
- How to create great navigation systems on your site, with custom menus, internal linking and related post sections.
- Enabling and dealing with visitor comments.
- Using the media library for images, video and more.
- The difference between pages and posts, and a simple way to know which one you should be using for each bit of content you publish on your website.
- Effective use of categories and tags. Using these incorrectly can get your site penalized or even banned from search engines.
- How to write posts, and even schedule them so they will be published at some future date.
- Using post revisions.
- Two different types of homepage. A blog style page v a more traditional "static" homepage.
- Using widgets on your site to add neat features.
This course is not about Wordpress programming or development. Please see our 5 day PHP/MySQL course for that.
Courseware (if a course has a Courseware) will be shipped to the address provided two weeks before the class starts. Make sure that the additional info field is properly and correctly filled out to avoid Courseware being lost in transit. Please also note that P.O. Box addresses are not allowed.
The classes are instructor-led live training you attend in a local classroom or from your home/office. Our instructors teach from a remote location while being able to interact with students as in a traditional classroom setting.
Instructors can view student progress and take control of their PC to provide direct assistance. Students can see the instructor's presentation as well as voice questions directly to the instructor and participate in class discussions.