18 and older
Basic business intelligence was once the gold standard in generating insights to drive important business decisions. In the information age, the amount of data available to businesses is nearly surpassing our ability to store, access, and analyze the results in an efficient manner.
Data science is emerging as a discipline to help take business intelligence to the next level by making it easier to harness large amounts of data, make accurate predictions, and create data-driven recommendations.
The goal of this class is to give you a taste of data science. We will define what data science is and introduce the data scientist's toolset through examples and case studies. You’ll also get hands-on programming experience in Python that you'll be able to immediately apply in the real world.
By the end of this session, you will be able to phrase problems in data science terms, approach the solution in a structured and rigorous manner, and understand how data visualization can help convey uncovered insights.Takeaways
Prereqs & Preparation
- Understand the field of data science, defining common roles, benefits, and trends.
- Review common statistical models and their uses
- Explore some popular tools and resources to visualize, analyze, and model data
- Experience performing common data science methods with Python
What to bring to class:
- This workshop is great for analysts, product managers, mathematicians, business managers or anyone else that wants to learn how to code in Python.
- No prior experience is required but basic statistical knowledge (e.g., mean, variance) and basic programming skills will ensure you get the most out of the session.
- All students must bring their own laptop, with Anaconda installed.
- Note on installing Anaconda:
Scroll to your operating system version and click on the install button for Anaconda with Python 3.6. We'll be using Python version 3.6 in this workshop. If you are using a PC, please install the git for Windows terminal beforehand.
For students enrolling in 12 week part time and immersive classes, it is not recommended that you book more than one class simultaneously.